11/11/2007

Superbug blows up your defenses

It's news like this about these "superbug" type microbes that put me in a philosophical tail spin. It goes something like this - if superbug's are caused by microbes that have acquired an immunity to antibiotics (or antivirals), then should we be using the drugs? Do/did we know what we are doing by using them or are we just taking stabs in the dark to try and treat causes we don't understand? If so, then what else are we doing that we don't understand the long term effect of? We have plenty of hindsight about stupid things we (as humans) have done in the past. What will be the hindsight in 50 years about what we're doing now?

It's about this point where I start thinking about my happy place and fight the urge to put my thumb in my mouth.

No comments: