12/31/2004

Smalltalk and my misinterpretations of life: Server, heal thy-self

Smalltalk and my misinterpretations of life: Server, heal thy-self provides a brief account of the joys of using a language environment that is capable of updating running code on the fly. This is something that I played with very briefly with Lisp and Portable Allegroserve. It's very powerful, compelling stuff to dynamically change running code and fix problems without having to down the server.

I really like the idea of having the server poll for released code. That's something I would like to try sometime. I imagine you could pull this off with CVS using tags. Hmmm...

I've been thinking that my wife and I need a centralized, web-accessible address book for keeping all our contacts. This became painfully obvious when it came time to send out Christmas cards this year. I'm thinking of writing it in Lisp. I'm sure solutions exist, but this gives me an excuse to play with Lisp for web development. Plus, I may be able to incorporate the idea of dynamically updating from CVS.

So many projects, so little time... :-)

No comments: